it’s the end of 2011 and, like most years, i can honestly say “good riddance!” to the last 365 days of my life. it’s not that i’m bitter about things; i just like moving on. i’m not enthusiastic about growing older, neither do i have anything in particular to look forward to in 2012, but…yeah.
these days, i have no patience to reflect on every aspect of the past year. too much has already been said about the political climate in this country, the unrest in the world, natural disasters, the medical profession, lady gaga’s latest controversial music video. even this post must feel rather obligatory, something i have to do in order to fulfill my KPI as a blogger.
i’ve already blogged about my year as a junior houseman. i’ve tried my best to be a good daughter and friend. as usual there is absolutely nothing to write about my non-existent love life…
…so i’m gonna do a meme.
1. what did you do in 2011 that you’ve never done before?
stuck a tube between someone’s vocal cords. successfully. multiple times.
2. did you keep your new year’s resolutions?
i don’t do resolutions. but if i did, the answer would most probably be “no”.
3. what countries did you visit?
singapore. that’s it. oh wait…no. yup, singapore.
4. what would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
what i have always lacked – belief in myself.
5. what was your biggest achievement of the year?
i did not kill anyone on the job. at least i think i didn’t. hmm.
6. what was your biggest failure?
not writing a single damned thing.
7. did anyone close to you die?
mei-mei, my faithful canine companion for 14 years, died in february.
8. what was the best thing you bought?
can i be an annoying hipster and say “my iphone”? but only because i didn’t really buy that much stuff. yeah right.
9. where did most of your money go?
food. oh ipoh you will bankrupt me.
10. what song will always remind you of 2011?
adele’s “someone like you”, only because it’s the titanic song of the year. besides, she’s lying through her teeth in that song. if it really wasn’t over for her, she wouldn’t wish “nothing but the best” for both her ex and his wife. i mean, come on!
11. what do you wish you’d done more of?
writing. reading. traveling. even more reading. running.
12. what do you wish you’d done less of?
regretting things i didn’t do.
13. how did you spend christmas?
with the people i love most. i don’t spend enough time with them. we’re running out of time so fast it’s not funny.
14. what was the best book you read?
i didn’t read enough books this year to be able to choose a “best book”. maybe “veronika decides to die” by paolo coelho.
15. what did you want and get?
[ insert annoying hipster answer here ]
16. what was your favourite movie of the year?
i didn’t watch anything artyfarty so i’d have to say it’s “the adventures of tin-tin”. even “harry potter and the deathly hallows, pt.2” comes second to it.
17. what did you do on your birthday?
i was on call when i crossed the line into “late 20s”. made up for it at a japanese dinner the next day with some good friends from work. =)
18. how would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
too little, too late. by the time i find something in that i both like and look good in, it’s out. i can see why my mother has never changed her style in 40 years – fitted, tailored dresses with a late-60s/early-70s vibe look great on her.
19. what issue stirred you up the most?
don’t get me started. i don’t write essays as well as i used to anymore.
20. tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
it’s never too late to achieve your dreams. at 68, my father has everything a man could ever want – a loving wife, successful children, a grandchild, financial independence, fulfilling hobbies, due recognition for his contributions and, just recently, a holiday home. that gives me 40 years to do the same. =)
merry belated christmas and a happy 2012 ahead!